Volunteer with SAAC
The Sacramento Area Animal Coalition (SAAC) relies on volunteers to manage the ongoing operation of our programs. Most of our volunteer roles can be conducted from your own home at your convenience. Our volunteer roles do not involve hands-on animal care. Descriptions of our volunteer roles are below.
To be informed when volunteer opportunities become available, please sign up to receive our email updates.
To apply: Send an email to email@example.com.
Join the Board!
Do you want to develop your leadership skills while saving animal live? Join the SAAC Board of Directors. Ideal candidates are proactive, self-motivated, collaborative, and tech savvy. Learn more about joining the SAAC board.
Voucher Program Volunteers
- Listen to messages left on SAAC’s spay/neuter hotline from pet owners
- Return calls and obtain necessary information to fill out online application on clients’ behalf
- Instruct clients on how to schedule an appointment and use their voucher
- Refer callers to other resources if necessary
- Make follow-up phone calls to ensure that vouchers were used
- Access to telephone and a computer with an Internet connection
- Ability to devote approximately 5 hours per week for a 1-week period, rotating every 4 to 6 weeks
- Ability to make phone calls in the evening
- Good telephone and communication skills
- A desire to help animals in your community
- Some knowledge of basic veterinary terms is a plus
Feral Cat Assistance Program Volunteers
- Respond to online applications from feral cat colony caregivers
- Determine applicant eligibility
- Issue spay/neuter coupons via e-mail
- A computer with an Internet connection and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to devote up to 2 hours per week for a 2-week period, rotating approximately every 3 months, depending on the volume of applications.
- Good writing and organizational skills
- Comfortable using computers, Microsoft Excel and the Internet
- A desire to help animals in the community
- Some knowledge of feral cats and/or basic veterinary terms is a plus
Spay Day Program Volunteers
Every February, SAAC manages a one-day spay/neuter event, during which hundreds of pets receive low-cost surgeries. We often need help with the following tasks:
- Appointment scheduling
- Paperwork assembly
- Publicity and media outreach